ANTERIOR CRUCIATE LIGAMENT (ACL) SURGERY
West Delhi | Gurgaon | Manesar | Ghaziabad | Panipat | Karnal | Jaipur | Meerut | Roorkee | Uttarakhand
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is a dense connecting tissue band coursing diagonally from femur to tibia and is one of the main ligaments within the knee joint connecting femur to tibia.
- ACL is a key structure in stability of knee joint and resists anterior translation of tibia during activities. Also provides rotational stability to the knee.
- ACL is one the most commonly injured ligaments of knee.
- Higher incidence of ACL injury is seen in individuals involved in high energy sports that involve sudden stops/change in direction like basketball,football ,skiing
- ACL injury is usually associated with injury to meniscus /articular cartilage/other ligaments/bony contusions
Surgery for injured acl can either be
- ACL RECONSTRUCTION where a graft is used to replace the ligament. Graft can either be:
- Autogaft using part of your body ( Hamstring/quadriceps tendon graft /patellar tendon graft/peroneal tendon graft)
- Allograft from deceased donor
- ACL REPAIR typically used for ACL avulsion injuries( separation of bony piece from rest of the bone)
TYPES OF ACL TEARS
- GRADE 1 => ACL SPRAIN => (LIGAMENT STRETCHED BUT JOINT IS STABLE)
- GRADE 2 => PARTIAL TEAR => (LIGAMENT STRETCHED AND BECOMES LOOSE)
- GRADE 3 => COMPLETE TEAR => (ACL IS SPLIT INTO TWO AND KNEE IS UNSTABLE)
- Popping sensation in the knee
- Severe pain and inability to continue activity
- Feeling of instability or giving way of knee
- Rapid swelling
- During the physical examination, your medical professional is likely to check swelling in the knee.
- In most cases, the diagnosis tends to be based on various physical tests, but if the injury is severe, the doctor is likely to ask you to undergo other tests, including X-rays and MRI.
- Non operative ( physical therapy + exercise programme)
- For minor tears (sprains)
- For patients who are relatively inactive or sedentary life style.
- Operative (ACL reconstruction is generally recommended if)
- You're an athlete and want to continue in your sport, especially if the sport involves jumping, cutting or pivoting
- More than one ligament is injured
- You have a torn meniscus that requires repair
- The injury is causing your knee to buckle during everyday activities
Advantages of Arthroscopy over traditional open surgery.
- Smaller incisions
- Minimal soft tissue trauma
- Less post- operative pain
- Lower infection rate
- Faster healing time
- Short hospital stay
Recovery and rehabilitation
- A focused rehab programme after ACL reconstruction is very crucial in regaining knee stability and strength
- A physical therapist will teach you to do exercises either under supervision or at home
- With progressive physical therapy to improve flexibility and strength of muscles around knee, It usually takes average 6 for athletes to restore normal activities.
What are the best treatments for ACL injury?
Ans. The treatments mainly depend on the damage. If it is minor conservative management with medications, rest and physiotherapy can be done. However, ACL surgery is a must if you have severe damage. Above all, you need to go to an experienced surgeon.
What is the cost of treating the ACL Injury?
Ans. The cost of the treatment varies depending on the situation of the injury. Post a proper diagnosis is done by our experts, only then we finalize the costing.
Will I have to undergo physiotherapy after ACL reconstruction?
Ans. Our team of experts follows the ACL rehabilitation protocol and will guide you through the process.
Why choose Neemtree?
50+ Specialist Onbaord
35+ Years of Experience
24X7 Medical Assistance
Free Pick & Drop
PSUs & TPA & Insurances are Accepted
All Govt Panels Accepted
Post Surgical Rehabilitation
EMI Option Available
Post Discharge Home Care
Hassle Free TPA/Panel Desk
Medical Visa Assistance
- Neem Tree is Covid19 safe - The patient's safety is first here, and it is mainly taken care of by social distancing and sanitized clinics besides sterilized hospital rooms.
- Our team of doctors is fully vaccinated.
- Post-surgery care - We tend to offer fantastic follow-up sessions, including consultations and instructions like dietary tips and physiotherapy to all patients to ensure you have a seamless recovery.
- Home Care including change of dressing, stitch removal and physiotherapy sessions at home.